How lucky I am…

CommunityI missed saying goodbye to Bec this morning as she went off to Crossfit early, but we said goodbye to Alastair as he went to work. Big hugs all round. Glen and I then went upstairs, did some washing, went for a croissant and coffee at Starbucks and then came back to finish cleaning the bathroom and the bedroom.

We then went to Julian’s and walked to Dollarama to buy some new padlocks for the suitcases, and then to the bank to change the account. Once we got back, we packed up the last of the washed clothes (amazingly everything fit), then Glen and Julian packed the car while I finished off the floors. The place is now squeaky clean.

It was then lunchtime and Glen and I hadn’t really had breakfast so the three of us walked into Yorkville and had lunch at Trattoria Nervosa. Glen had to spend a lot of time on the phone to Rogers trying to get his phone unlocked, only to be told he couldn’t for another two months, much to his intense annoyance.

We then ordered our food. Glen’s pizza arrived. He thought he’d ordered one with mushrooms. We nearly shouted at the waiter until he showed us that it wasn’t champignons but champagne tomatoes. We ate humble pie.

After lunch we went back to Julian’s and watched Muriel’s Wedding. This was the first time Julian had seen it and I’m not sure he loves it as much as we did but enjoyed watching it with us. It’s also given him a good taste of Australian culture.

The landlord showed up at 2:15 and I gave him back the keys. He gave me $200 back for the key deposit. At about 3pm, we all tumbled into the car with our mountain of suitcases and set off for the airport (going via the bank to deposit the money).

The PanAm Games are on in Toronto at the moment (like the Olympics but for the Americas). All week I’ve been saying “PanAm today. PanAm tomorrow. PanAm forever.” (from The Hunger Games). Because of the game’s, they’ve put in car pooling lanes on the freeway so we avoided a lot of traffic.

We were all a bit quiet or teary in the car on the way to the airport. Saying goodbye curbside was sad as well. We’ll see Julian at New Year’s but that’s still five-plus months away. We waved goodbye until the last minute.

We checked in, which was a longer process than it needed to be. We didn’t get to use the priority lane, even though we were in business. The line for US customs took forever (though the officer wasn’t unpleasant. In fact he was quite friendly). I then got selected for additional screening, which took forever to get through. We were then unable to get into the AA lounge because we’re not flying out of North America. And then we were informed our flight was delayed for 40 minutes.

Oh, and there are thunderstorms in Chicago.

Clearly, Canada does not want us to leave.

I don’t have the mental energy to do a recap of our two years in Canada at the moment, or of what we’re leaving behind, or to pour out any more emotions about this onto my blog, but I will say that one thing has kept surfacing in my head over the past month, and that’s a quote from Winnie-the-Pooh that says, “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” I get a lump in my throat every time I think of it and realise truly how lucky I am to have had (and to have) so much.


What do you say, eh?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s