Breakfast, lunch and dinner

We had a moderate-activity level weekend. Glen had been working on-call during the week, and I’d been doing a bunch of paid and unpaid work. By the end of the week, we were both worn out. On Friday I’d subscribed to HBO as the new seasons of Game of Thrones and Veep were starting on Sunday. Not that we really need to watch any more TV but our viewing options are going to go down when we’re back in Australia, so we may as well make the most of it while we can.

So, armed with a bunch of new channels and access to old episodes, we watched eight episodes of the second season of Looking, with Russel Tovey and Jonathan Groff. There are only ten episodes in the season so we didn’t do too badly. Despite some annoyances with the show and the general earnestness and insecurities of the main character Patrick, we enjoyed it. Glen wanted to go back to San Francisco after watching it.

IMG_2613On Saturday, despite Glen declaring in our shared calendar that it was a “NOT DOING ANYTHING” day, we still managed to pack a few things in. Uncharacteristically for us, we went for breakfast at Cluny in the Distillery District. We cycled down, jumping on our Bixie Bikes. It took us about half an hour to get there. Toronto streets are horrible too. They’re bumpy with lots of pot holes and you can never quite trust the other drivers. Plus we don’t have helmets (it’s not illegal here) so you know you’re going to be in trouble if you get hit.

Breakfast was pretty good. Cluny is French/Parisian themed and not too pretentious. The meals were good. We abstained from ordering the “pastry experience”, though we did pick up a croissant on the way out to eat later. Our cycle ride home was a bit tough as the return journey is ever so slightly uphill. It was hard work, and I’ll blame it on the fact that we’d just eaten breakfast, not on any lack of aerobic fitness. After all, we’d cycled around San Francisco!

In the afternoon, I went to the gym. It was busy. Glad I went though as it meant I could enjoy the all-you-can-eat sushi we went to with Cam and Vincent without feeling guilty.

They showed up at our place at about 5:30 and then we headed down the road to Fushima for dinner. We ordered a lot. The place got busy. Cam ordered a can of Sapporo, which never came, despite asking for it twice. It became the running joke of the night, that we could get whatever we wanted, just not a can of Sapporo. We rolled out of there after about two hours, then Glen and I had our first experience at The Beer Store.

It’s a liquor shop that has a wall of all the types of beer they have in stock, and then you have to ask for it from the guy behind the counter. There’s no self-service here. Apparently this is how it used to be done all across Ontario but now it’s a rarity. Cam and Vince bought some Sapporo and we went back to our place. We played a game of Ticket to Ride. Cam annihilated us, Vincent—who’d been so confident because he won last time—came last. Glen and I were somewhere in the middle. It was a fun night.

Sunday with the Thomsons

On Sunday we’d arranged to have lunch at the Thomsons in London (Ontario) so we picked up the hire car from down the road, a tiny little Rio, and then zoomed off along the 403 to London. It took two hours. I drove, listening to my music while Glen tried not to get car sick while on his laptop. He was unsuccessful and arrived nauseated.

It had been nearly 18 months since we visited them the last time. Then, the leaves on the trees were all orange and yellow and red. It was Thanksgiving. Now, everything’s still sticks and twigs as spring struggles to break through. Having said that, it was a lovely day and the weather was beautiful.

IMG_2619 copyWe were a little early as most of the family were out visiting George’s father, but that gave us a chance to talk to Sally. We hadn’t seen them all since our wedding so, despite being connected on Facebook, there was still plenty to catch up on. The family arrived a little later, as did Sally’s sister, Lisa. We had lunch, joked about Buffy not being asked if she wanted guacamole (which became the running joke). It was very family-like and was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon.

We showed some videos I’d made of our travels, swapping stories of ours with stories of theirs about skiing accidents that resulted in dislocated hips, or near misses with bears in Banff. It got to about 4:30 and we decided to make a move as we still had to get home, sadly realising that there’s a chance we won’t see them before we leave and then it’ll be a while before we see them again. As we left, we said this is not farewell. It’s going to get harder to say that the closer we get to our return date.

The drive back home was uneventful, though there was more traffic. I missed the turn-off for the 403 so we went via the 401 instead. Glen fell asleep. He’d dutifully asked, both on the way there and on the way back, whether I wanted him to drive. He would have done it too, if I’d said I didn’t want to, but he was very happy that I said it was fine and I didn’t mind driving. At least now he’s stopped criticising my driving.

We stopped at Loblaw’s when we got back into Toronto to pick up some groceries. I dropped Glen back at the condo while I returned the car. He’d already started making dinner when I got in. We pottered around for a while and then it was time for Game of Thrones and Veep, which rounded off our night—and our weekend—perfectly.

What do you say, eh?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s