Glen and I went to see Disney’s new version of Maleficent tonight. Pete, Royden and Anna came too. I was a bit apprehensive about seeing it after reading a not-so-good review and then hearing other friends rave about it. Usually, when people say how amazing a movie is my expectations get to be so high that I can’t help but be disappointed.
I’m pleased to say that in this instance, expectations were well met.
Things I loved:
- Angelina’s comical by-play with other characters, particular when she says to Aurora, ‘I hate you.’
- awesome world building. They created a fantasy fairy world that looked amazing.
- great intertextuality with the original Disney cartoon version of Sleeping Beauty. There were some lines taken straight out of the cartoon, but also similar shots. Having watched the film a lot when I was a kid, seeing those scenes retold added something familiar and welcome.
- a pretty good re-telling from the “villain’s” perspective (though after 16 years of madness, I’m sure Stefan’s subjects would have overthrown him long ago)
- and a much better, more modern moral for girls than Sleeping Beauty.
There’s not really much else I can say about it. Oh, Lana Del Rey’s version of Once Upon A Dream is sublime.
That’s enough gushing. No doubt it won’t be (or isn’t) everyone’s cup of tea but if you like fairytale retellings that aren’t too full of themselves and are about as close to a kids movie for adults that you can get without being saccharine, it’s worth checking out.